ON THE STREETS, 17th NOVEMBER 2012
John & Amélia distributed leaflets to the passersby as Miguel preached.
Lately it has become difficult to preach on market Street as more buskers and street entertainers have taken to setting up their P.A. systems along the stretch of the street. We simply cannot compete with the noise levels. Also, as the season changes we have the rain to contend with.
Nevertheless we seize whatever opportunity we can often spending a short amount of time in one place and moving on to somewhere else.
We have been reaching out into Manchester for about 8 years now. For some time few Christians ever came out to bare witness to the Gospel. Now, albeit with a compromised version of the Gospel, we are seeing more groups come out and, as the scripture says:
What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice. (Philippians 1:18)
All three of the team engaged in conversation with a number of people however the most striking difference about today was the teams encounter with an extremist Islamic group that had set up a table and were preaching via a loud speaker. One of them stopped John & Miguel and engaged with them in what could only be described as a bit of a one-sided conversation where this young man challenged them about their belief in Jesus Christ and the Bible. He accused them of being liars, he also stated that Muslims were superior to non-Muslims and mouthed of the usual anti-Christian rhetoric that the team has become accustomed to from such extremists.
Although John was not offered one of his leaflet he did happen to notice the name of the movement that they were promoting on the reverse of his leaflet:
One of the key items that this group seek to encourage Muslims to do is to reject Democracy. Take the following quote from this website for example which is promoting a book by Radical Cleric, the late Sheik Abdul Qadeem Zalloom:
This book written on the 3rd Dhul-Qida 1410AH, 27th May 1990 by the late Sheikh Abdul Qadeem Zalloom (May Allah have mercy on him) follows such an approach and shows that democracy far from being a model for Muslims is in fact a system of kufr that is forbidden to adopt, implement or call for.
The site also contains videos that promote the ideas of
* building global public opinion for the Caliphate (Khilafah) in the Muslim ummah,
* Enormous crowd calls for Khilafah and death to “Israel” infront of 4 UN Observers
* The call for Shariah in Egypt
* The promotion of Islamist group, Hizb ut-Tahrir which promotes the idea of Revolution: Once public opinion is achieved in a target country through debate and persuasion, the group hopes to obtain support from army generals, leaders, and other influential figures or bodies to facilitate the change of the government. The government would be replaced by one that implements Islam “generally and comprehensively”, carrying Islamic thought to people throughout the world.
* A strong Anti-Israeli stance in its declaration: Sheikh Issam Ameireh, member of Hizb ut-Tahrir in Al-Quds, Palestine, delivers a talk on Nationalism and its destructive influence on the Muslim Ummah [Al-Quds is the Arabic name for the City of Jerusalem which is the Capital of Israel) These Islamists wish to see the destruction of the State of Israel making the whole of the Land of Israel (from the Med to the River Jordan) a Palestinian State. This will necessitate a Jihad carried out against Israel and her allies (such as US and Great Britain). This is what Hamas has been waging against Israel for years now firing thousands of Rockets into Israel from Gaza].
The young man also admitted to being a Wahabi Muslim. Wahabism is an extremist Islamic Sect which injects millions of pounds from Saudi Arabia into the promotion of Islamic Jihad. Its followers inject money into recruiting young Muslims into extremist ideology. They fund terror camps where British Muslims often train in guerrila tactics and promote the notion of Shahid (Islam´s version of the Japanese Kamakzi).
John asked the men if they were linked to Anjem Choudrey, one of them answered, “Well….I know him!” but in the way that someone answers when they don’t want to admit a thing but can’t deny it (not sure if you understand).
For more info on Wahabism:
For an islamic view:
- Posted in: Uncategorized